A Guide to Cat Litter Boxes
Cats are fastidious beings, and they take great care to keep their cat litter boxes clean. If the box is too full, messy or smelly, a cat may decide to “go” elsewhere. Here are some tips for keeping your cat healthy, happy and well-adjusted:
- Scoop out droppings and clumps at least once a week.
- Dispose of the waste in a sealed bag and take it outdoors.
- The scoop should be washed and stored in a plastic bag.
- Clean the edge of the litter box with soap and water.
- Wash the litter box thoroughly and dry it completely. Avoid using bleach or ammonia to clean it. Cats are very sensitive to smells, so they may not use the box if they detect a chemical odor. Cats are also susceptible to the harmful effects of chemicals.
- Replace the litter with fresh litter.
If your cat continues to urinate outside the litter box even after you’ve kept it clean, discuss this with your vet. It could be a sign that the cat has an underlying medical problem.